Periodontal Disease Treatment in Edmonton, AB
Looking for Periodontics Treatment? Here at Dr. Derek Fika Family Dentistry, we know that periodontal disease can cause serious pain. That is why we are here to treat all your periodontal issues with our state-of-the-art laser dentistry. We emphasize educating our patients on the bodily harm and aesthetic issues caused by periodontal disease. Studies show that the benefits of having a healthy mouth go far beyond no cavities and personal appearance.
Periodontics is a branch of dentistry dealing with the study and treatment of diseases. We cure periodontal inflammation and infection with dental lasers. Simple “management” of periodontal disease is unacceptable when caring for our patients. 4 out of 5 people have periodontal disease and don’t know it because it is generally painless in the early stages. However, when you visit our Edmonton dental office, Dr. Derek Fika will diagnose and discuss all treatment options.
About Periodontal Disease
The word periodontal means “around the tooth”. Periodontal disease attacks the gums and the bone that support the teeth. Plaque is a sticky film of food debris, bacteria, and saliva. If plaque is not removed, it turns into calculus (tartar). When plaque and calculus are not removed, they begin to destroy the gums and bone. Periodontal disease, more commonly known as "gum disease" is characterized by red, swollen, and bleeding gums.
Not only is it the number one reason for tooth loss, research suggests that there may be a link between gum disease and other diseases such as, stroke, bacterial pneumonia, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and increased risk during pregnancy. Researchers are determining if inflammation and bacteria associated with periodontal disease affects these systemic diseases and conditions. Smoking also increases the risk of periodontal disease.
Good oral hygiene, a balanced diet, and regular dental visits can help reduce your risk of developing periodontal disease. At Dr. Derek Family Dentistry, providing you with this information is key in our success of treating gum disease.
Signs and symptoms of periodontal disease:
- Bleeding gums – Gums should never bleed, even when you brush vigorously or use dental floss.
- Loose teeth – Also caused by bone loss or weakened periodontal fibers (fibers that support the tooth to the bone).
- New spacing between teeth – Caused by bone loss.
- Persistent bad breath – Caused by bacteria in the mouth.
- Pus around the teeth and gums – Sign that there is an infection present.
- Receding gums – Loss of gum around a tooth.
- Red and puffy gums – Gums should never be red or swollen.
- Tenderness or Discomfort – Plaque, calculus, and bacteria irritate the gums and teeth.
Contact us for any questions or concerns you may have about periodontal disease or the laser dentistry in Edmonton that we offer!